Because this is a brand new facility, GCGV engineered a staged system consisting of elevated flares and a ground flare.
The ground flare is the primary flare at the facility, while two elevated flares are used for smaller quantities of product. One benefit of this design is the sound produced by the ground flare is estimated to be two orders of magnitude lower than the sound from an elevated flare when flaring the same amount of product.
Systems with ground flare technology have demonstrated:
- Reduced hydrocarbon emissions (they achieved higher destruction efficiency than alternatives)
- Reduced noise
- Reduced low-frequency vibration
- Reduced illumination (the ground flare flame is behind a fence at ground level)
- Reduced energy consumption (which minimizes emissions, including greenhouse gases)
- Reduced water consumption